Sunday, November 8, 2009

Thousand Little Sparks

Music reverberating through each and every nook and cranny of the club. The sweet perfume in the air, of perspiring bodies mixed with the aroma of the spirits. The sea of people were dancing rhythmically, pulsating bodies moved like a being on the dance floor. With an atmosphere of pure abandon this enclosure was alive with a spirit of its own. The beat had taken over everything, nobody seemed to have an independent thought or emotion. Amidst the cacophony and self induced delirium, the cult was intoxicated on an assortment of alcohol and drugs.

I walk over to the watering hole, look at the druid, patiently filling prescription for the fixes he was disbursing to a public in frenzy. Gesture for a whiskey on the rocks with a bit of water, and sip down the glass of beer slowly and purposely.

I had wanted to come over here, why? What was it that had compelled me to come to this confounded box? The dancing.....yes i had come over to dance! I wanted to let the soul free of all decisions...mix with the body of creatures on the dance floor and be absorbed in the chaos.

With marked steps i walk into the wave, that ever changing, ever masking blob that was the dance floor. And i started the ritual, the movements, the hands ....slowly the feet...then the hips took a life of their own, they took charge, and i was along for the ride.

The sweet noise , the thumping was racing my own ticker, and was matching speed. And i looked up high into the air, i couldn't see anything, there was nothing to be seen or heard. I had only the thumping, and the ticker to feel alive. I moved out of my body and looked at myself moving in the wave, in that madness. A thousand blinding lights whizzed past me like a million fireflies in conjunction.

Then beauty, the discovery of a diamond in the coal mines, or of a pearl in an oyster cannot be more breathtaking. She was right there, at one with the music, her soul was resting in the lap of conciousness and her body was working as if on voodoo magic. The eyes were open, but mind was closed, the body was active but strangely at rest. Delicious beads of sweat were collecting on her brow, giving a glow to her already angelic face. She was a part of the wave, and yet stood out.

I made my way through the mass, to the angel, i had but one wish left, to reach her level of consciousness and live a moment with her. Her fragrance enveloped me, and i felt paralyzed, i was all but useless to the world. There was no blood left in my hands and feet, all rushing back to the brain, to tell it to stop and die as it had reached heaven.

The music was faster now, and the beat was overpowering, the body yielded and the world went blank again. The moments were passing by as ig in slow motion, as her hair flew close to mine, i wanted to get my face in the way to touch her smell, feel her soul. Her eyes were closed, she was not open to this plane, she was on another. I pushed myself to get there....

Her eyes met mine, yet she was not looking at me, she was not here, she is calling to me. The smile on her face suggested that she was safe, she was out there. She grabbed my hands and i felt a connection, i stopped everything. My mind was away....and all i felt was the air around me.

The song reached a crescendo, the feet began to quiver, i opened my eyes and there was nobody around. She stood alone in front of me, every pore of her being was screaming of love. The passion was infectious, the mind let go and the body went into overdrive. The grinding pulsating movement made all the joy in the world seem finite and temporary.

I was in the air, hovering in a kind of supernatural peace. The elation of the heart and soul defied reasoning. The cosmic connection had been breached. She was my portal to the universe - the reason for my being. She embraced me, her hair touched the back of my neck, short bursts of electricity passed through my body. They went down my neck down to the small of my back. The fragrance was commanding, i moved powerlessly yet felt like the strongest of men.

She turned around to rest her back to my chest, and continued to move with the tempo, matching the beat at every turn. I was sure that she could feel the vibration of my heart over the thumping of the bass speakers. A heart which had never experienced such ecstasy, wanted rest and yet wanted to go on.

The tempo slowed down, the song came to an end. The heart regained composure, brain decided to take charge. The air was cleared and order is restored. Vision returned slowly, only to see the withdrawing silhouette of her body out of the blob.




No comments: